I was recently sent a supply of ROHTO eye drops to use and review. I'd never heard of them but since I have eye issues (scratched cornea back in the spring that keeps flaring up), I was eager to check them out. Plus, I learned that they sponsor some Ironman triathletes so I figured that using the same eye drops that those hard-core peeps do would make me feel a little more, you know, hard-core.
I received one of each of the four ROHTO varieties -- Hydra, Cool, Ice and Arctic -- and was instructed to start by using the Hydra drops, since those are the least cooling, and move from there to cool, ice and, finally, arctic. Unusual instructions? Maybe, but they make sense because the drops are unlike any others (that I've tried, at least) with their cooling properties.
Yeah, I didn't really know what cooling eye drops were all about so I tried out the Hydra not realizing that doing so would be like giving my eyes a mint. Hoo ha! My eyes felt . . . minty? Chilly? Cool, for sure, but in that icy hot way.
After the initial cool wore away (which happened fairly quickly), my eyes felt nicely hydrated and refreshed. It was really like giving my eyes a mint -- the drops pepped them back up.
I've since tried the other varieties and I believe that, for me, they are too strong. My scratched up eye simply can't handle too much cooling, so the ice and arctic types were too much. But, I can see the benefit for someone who works out in really dry and hot conditions.
Here's a little info on ROHTO from their web site:
Eye Irritation: Sun, dirt and sweat are just a few of the things that irritate eyes after a long run. ROHTO Cooling Eye Drops, a favorite among endurance athletes, are a great way to relieve irritation and redness, and restore moisture. More than just “eye drops,” they provide a cooling “kick” that helps refresh and rejuvenate your eyes, helping you stay focused. ROHTO is the largest selling eye drop brand in the world. The ROHTO line includes:The Giveaway:
The drops retail for $6.99-$8.99 at drugstores like CVS across the country.
- ROHTO® Hydra: The newest product offering, specifically formulated to lubricate and provide long-lasting moisture for dry, irritated eyes with the closest hydration to natural tears, while also providing the brand’s signature cooling “kick”
- ROHTO® Cool: a general purpose eye drop that combines redness relief with a gentle cooling sensation
- ROHTO® Ice: relieves redness while also soothing itch, irritation and burn with an intense cooling sensation
- ROHTO® Arctic : revives strained, overworked eyes and relieves redness with a mild “pick me up” sensation.
One lucky reader will win an entire line of the ROHTO eye drops.
Leave me a comment and let me know you'd like to try out the eye drops.
As always, you can gain a few additional entries (leave one comment per entry for the additional ones to count):
- Follow this blog or my other blog, or let me know that you already do (leave a comment)
- Link to this giveaway from your blog (leave a comment)
- Become a fan of The Happy Runner on Facebook, or let me know that you already are (leave a comment)
- Become a fan of ROHTO on Facebook (leave a comment)
- Link to this giveaway from Facebook or Twitter (do as often as you'd like, just leave a comment each time)
ROHTO is hosting an Endurance Sweepstakes through September 30, 2010, where two grand-prize winners (one male and one female) will receive a men’s and women’s Ceepo® bike, respectively. The sweepstakes also includes weekly prizes of ROHTO Training Kits that will include a valuable assortment of training gear and nutritional items. Go to www.winrohto.com to enter or print a $1.00 coupon.
Review/giveaway disclosure: I received free eye drops from ROHTO to review. I was not otherwise compensated for this post and the opinions expressed are entirely my own.