Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Uncle Ben's Kitchen Kickoff

Some people swear by protein-packed diets and eschew carbs like they are poison. Not me. No sir. I'm a carb gal. Pasta, rice, bread . . . as long as it is part of a balanced diet, I go for it. And I especially go for the whole-grain carbs like whole wheat couscous or pasta, brown rice, multigrain bread.

So, when given the chance to participate in the Uncle Ben's Kitchen Kickoff I said, "Absolutely!"

As part of this promo, I was sent boxes of Uncle Ben's items to share with friends during a meal together. All of the rice was whole grain brown rice and there were three different styles: Boil-in-Bag, Fast & Natural, and Natural Whole Grain (long-cooking).

For the dinner, seven friends and I got together and cooked a Mexican-style meal of tacos, veggies and Tex-Mex rice. We opted to try the Boil-in-Bag rice because it seemed very convenient and convenience is everything for busy moms.

The Boil-in-Bag rice was as easy to make as the package promised. All we had to do was boil a pot of water, then stick the bags in the water and wait for 10 minutes. When the rice was done, we dumped the water and finished the dish.

Here's our (not so attractive but definitely yummy) bowl of Tex Mex-style rice:

It looks better on the plate with the rest of the meal:

It really was tasty and everyone seemed to enjoy it. Thanks to Uncle Ben's, each guest got a big goodie bag filled with three boxes of rice, a scoop, coupons and a pack of recipes:


It was fun to make the meal with friends and share the rice with them. A few people were surprised by how easy it was to cook the brown rice -- I think brown rice has a reputation for being time-consuming. In truth, the long-cooking variety that Uncle Ben's sent definitely does take longer to cook, but it is also worth it. The texture is firmer than the Boil-in-Bag or Fast & Natural varieties. But, on regular nights, the quicker varieties are great.

Quickie Giveaway

I have a few leftover coupons from the party. If you would like to win 3 $1.00 off coupons for the Uncle Ben's rice, leave me a comment and let me know. The giveaway will run through Sunday, July 11th at 11:59pm EST. I'll choose the winner using random.org and post on Monday.

Good luck!

Review disclaimer: I wrote this review while participating in a Kitchen Kickoff campaign by Mom Central on behalf of Uncle Ben's. Mom Central sent me a gift card and other Uncle Ben's items to thank me for taking the time to participate.

5 comments:

  1. I'll bite! I too am a carboholic. I crave dense nutty bread and whole grains like nobody's business! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your taco looks good too! I eat rice with just about everything, sounds like this was quick and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too LOVE carbs...(it goes back to my old HS Cross Country days when we all carbo loaded pre race). I would love some coupons ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I could live on bread, rice and bagels, I would! I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hard to believe, but rice is actually one of my favorite foods! If I'm going to eat grains, rice is definitely my first choice hands down!
    sazzyfrazz at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete