Thursday, July 15, 2010

Somnio running shoes review.

I haven't had the best luck with running shoe reviews. You see, I'm a Brooks gal and have been for a good 8 or so years. I love my Addictions. They were my saviors way back when my ITB decided it was going to work against me and my desire to run. So, I've stuck with them and I will sing their praises to anyone who will listen.

Trying other shoes, then, doesn't always work so well. I was sent a pair of New Balance about a year ago and they were fine. Shiny and sleek and silver, the shoes were fun to wear but they just weren't my Addictions.

Same with the Mizunos I was sent a few months later. And, oh, did I want to love those. They were pink, people! Well, pink and white but, come on! Just about the cutest running shoes I had ever worn. Today, they are relegated to cross-training. Indoors. Where no one gets to see them and all their pink and white glory.

Recently, though, I was sent a pair that could possibly have me saying good-bye to my Brooks.

I'm nervous just typing that.

It's Somnio. Have you heard of them? They make these custom running shoes. And, I don't know about you but I think custom running shoes is a pretty cool concept.

So, I was contacted by Somnio and we went through the process of fitting the shoes to my particular gait and body type. Based on a few emails and Somnio's custom fitting process (which I had to do online because there are no Somnio retailers near me) I chose the Women's Self Control. It's a cushioned motion control shoe that I had fitted with a #3 varus wedge, a medium arch and neutral cushioning.

Check out the whole Build a Shoe process here.

When my custom shoes arrived, I wanted to try them out right away. I took them for an easy run around my neighborhood and the first thing that I noticed was that I felt very "one with the road" in the Somnios. It's hard to explain but I think it has something to do with the sole being flatter than that of my Brooks. Not sure. Anyway, I felt a little more in tune with the road and I can't imagine that would be a bad thing.

For my next run, I wore my Brooks, for comparison. Oh, jeez. I felt as if my feet were slapping the road. I had never, ever felt that before. But, compared to the Somnios, that's how it felt. My trusty Brooks still worked for me but a bit of their luster seemed to be rubbing off.

The next test for the new shoes was a big one: I wore them in a race. I took only the Somnios with me on vacation and I wore them for my 5K and for a run along the beach.

Two completely different types of runs. And two runs that felt good. The only discomfort I had was some not-quite soreness in my shins during my race. I haven't experienced it when I've worn the Somnios since so I believe that it was just my legs getting used to the different way of running in the new shoes.

Overall, I love my custom running shoes! I'm scared, though, because this particular shoe goes for $160 and do I really want to sign myself up for such an expensive shoe? Well, I probably do. My Brooks are pricey enough, although I can often find a good deal and get them for around $80.

The bottom line is that I am enjoying running in these new shoes and it has been about 8 years since I've been able to say that a non-Brooks shoe has worked for me. Thanks, Somnio, for a great experience! I'm looking forward to many more miles.

Check out Somnio for yourself at their web site.


Review disclosure: Somnio gave me the opportunity to try the running shoes free of charge. I was not compensated for my review and the opinions expressed are entirely my own.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like some good shoes - I would prefer a more manly color though :)

    I, like you, would get nervous about getting too attached to a $160 shoe. I go through shoes too fast and would have to get a third job :) Maybe I would just use them for shorter runs....

    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience with these shoes. I'm in the market for a new pair, and these sound interesting. Nervous about switching from my fave brand - Saucony - but willing to try these after reading this post. I'm going to check out their site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats exiting.....im a brooks girl too....but it looks like it is definitely woth a try! thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's amazing. I don't know that I could spend that much, but sounds very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tim -- they have some manly ones, too. No worries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you like them! I am liking mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ellipticall Trainers Shoes. These are designed for wear during workouts using exercise machines such as treadmills. They ensure that one has the balance required on the machine and minimizes of slipping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im starting to like more my addiction..brook addiction are cool and very comfy

    ReplyDelete
  9. great shoes! love the style and design of them.
    -------
    Free Apple Ipad 4

    ReplyDelete