Monday, July 12, 2010

Fitness inspiration.






This is sponsored content from BlogHer and Crystal Light Pure Fitness.



There was a time in my life when the heavy girl I saw in the mirror was my main inspiration to workout. Looking back on the girl I was in my early 20s -- fun, working single girl, living in the Big Apple -- I realize that I wasn't fat. In fact, a lot of the time I looked pretty good. But, you know, it's all about perspective. And my perspective at that time was that my nights of hitting the two-for-one happy hours with free all-you-can-eat hot hors d'oeuvres needed to be paid for with hours on the elliptical.

You could say that fear of fat was my main motivator in those days.

But then I started to run.

Funny how putting one foot in front of the other -- no machines necessary -- can change your perspective.

I entered my 30s and moved out of the city. I had gotten married and the hubs and I decided upstate New York was the place for us. Or, at least, we hoped it would be. Ten years later, we know it is.

I continued to run. I started to enter more races and, in turn, I started to run more. I began training for races. I wanted to become better -- to train smarter, to run faster, to gain endurance. I wanted to prove to myself that I could run. For real. I wasn't motivated by a fear of fat. Instead, I was motivated by PRs and long runs that got longer each week. By completing tough hill repeats that, a year or two earlier I never would have dreamed of attempting.

You could say that I began to inspire myself.

Make no mistake: When I see rockin' running mamas, like Paula Radcliffe and Blake Russell, I am IN-spired. I think about how they can balance being moms with running well and I tell myself to get with it.

And, yeah, I see those 80-something grandmas who run marathons or anyone who has overcome a disease, tragedy or life obstacle but still gets out there and runs and I think, I can run one more mile.

And, of course, when I look at my son, I'm inspired to model healthy habits for him.

How could I not want to stay healthy for that little guy?

For the most part, though, I trust myself to be my main inspiration. Narcissistic? No, I don't think so. I think I just feel that I need to run for me. I need to be healthy for me. I need to train and try to set personal records for me. There's nothing wrong with looking outward for inspiration and I definitely do that from time to time. For me, though, I'm it. I'm no longer looking at a heavy girl in the mirror -- I'll leave that image for my youth -- but at a strong running mama who wants to stay that way for as long as possible.

The bracelets I had made for my running group last month, but also a title I like to think applies to me.

It's a better image. Believe me.

So this post is part of my month-long series for Crystal Light: Pure Fitness. This week we want to know: Who inspires you to reach your fitness goals?

Tell me! Every comment left on this post is an entry for a chance to win a $100 Visa gift card at the end of the month (comments from all posts will be combined; you can leave comments on more than one -- or all! -- post to receive multiple entries).

While you're at it, check out the other bloggers that are writing about Crystal Light: Pure Fitness for three other chances to win $100 as well as a $1,000 sweepstakes by visiting the BlogHer.com Crystal Light: Pure Fitness exclusive offers page.

Learn more about Crystal Light: Pure Fitness here and read the official rules here. Good luck!





31 comments:

  1. Lovely post. After having 3 kids, they are definitely a motivation for me. But I have found, that I am my inspiration right now. To live a healthier longer life and to model for my children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My story is somewhat similar to yours. I started running because I played basketball in college and needed a way to get in shape in the off season. I kept running because after I graduated I needed a way to keep the pounds off and take some off as well. I run now because I love the way it feels. I feel strong and clear headed. While I played basketball I had two injuries that sidelined me from running for six months each. I run now because I can. I'm inspired by the runner that I could possibly become.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I run to be a better person. It takes an edge of anxiety off that is priceless to me.
    The knowledge of how unhappy I am when I don't run is inspiration enough for me to get out there!
    I love the connection with nature I get from being outside and alone with my thoughts.
    I want to model an active lifestyle to my four boys and I love when I get to run with my husband as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband inspires me because we partner up to encourage each other.

    mami2jcn at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mean to sound braggy or anything but I run for myself. I gave it up when dh and I got engaged. 11 years and a houseful of kids later, and I woke one morning and realized I'm overweight and unhappy. So I bought a cheap pair of shoes and started running. I've since purchased better shoes and set fitness goals, and it feels great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Right now I think that myself as well as other bloggers are my inspiration. By reading race reports and other peoples workouts, it makes me want to get out and run!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I run for no one but myself. My inspriation changes frequently, but the encouragement from my family is what keeps me going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading your post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. at this point in my life....i hate or love to say it but i run for me. sometimes it is the only thing that keeps me sane. it is something i can depend on and rely on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to be fit for God! I want to be able to fit so I can be used where ever God needs me. When I run, I spend time listening, praying, talking and being with God. I crave it on rest days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who inspires me? Hmm. So many people : fellow bloggers, my daughter, my husband. But the most important person is my daughter...just like you, I want to be a good example for her of health and fitness and how to live a healthy life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My health ,my future,family and boyfriend inspire me.

    I want to be healthy,and my family and boyfriend are a great reason to be healthy and enjoy the future with them:)

    driven873@hotmail.com

    driven83(AT)hotmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not a runner, because of a prosthetic leg I am still breaking in, but I am a biker and I really believe in motivating yourself. I love this post! I have a post on my blog, called "Dig Deep", about what inspires me when I crawl on that bike. I love your arm bands, love your positive outlook. Great post!

    Judy
    justonefoot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. it's definitely the person inside of me dying to break through the negative thoughts and show me what i'm capable of doing anything.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My children inspire me to stay fit, since I want to be able to be healthy when they are older.
    ajolly1456 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have a lovely family. Kids have a way of making us be our best,I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body," 1 Cor. 6:19-20
    I am motivated to be the best that I can be for God because he has a wonderful purpose for my life!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My kids inspire me to run! I want to stay healthy for them as long as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  19. May sound funny but the old me inspires me to keep up with my fitness goals, I NEVER want to go back to being overweight.

    Where did you have those bracelets made?? Please send me this info. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved your post today! I can't get past the fact that I don't have the *perfect* body. And running (and doing tris) makes me feel amazing and gives me a reprieve from feeling guilty about eating. And now, as I see my 8 year old daughter with the same *perfect* body as mine, I run to show her how to take care of and love your body.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Older relatives that got ill and had to move into nursing homes inspire me to get healthier. LPoser1 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  22. My inspiration started with my uncle who had leukemia. I ran two marathons with team in training. Now I workout (swim/bike/run) for stress relief and just because I can.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My community inspires me to stay fit.
    I live in a community that has a lot of elder, disabled and people with many health issues.
    I don't want to be like them, so I try and stay fit.

    ReplyDelete
  24. my family and friends influence me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My parents are my inspiration. I admire how they maintain great shape, stay young and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My Inspiration are the recovering Cancer patients. As I myself fought breast cancer almost 4 years ago, the treatments created many, many health issues, making exercise nearly impossible, let alone breaking a ankle and a foot along the way. I'm a just now, trying to lose weight and become more healthy with exercise. Not easy, but I see all who have ungone the fight and where they are and I want to do the same...To all my sisters and brothers, I Thank you for your strength!

    ReplyDelete
  27. i'm with you, my kids inspire me to want to be a healthy role model for them...

    ReplyDelete
  28. My sister. She is a dynamo. And she's only 2 years younger than me. While I feel like a slug, she's dancing the night away. She wants to travel, and you gotta be in shape to travel! So I have to say that she is my inspiration, otherwise I'm afraid I'd just give up...

    ReplyDelete
  29. My co-worker, Jill, really inspires me. she's lost over 100lbs and she's still going strong and has completely changed how she approaches diet and exercise. She was a great motivator for me, making me believe that I could do it too, and she's also there to listen to me on those bad days because she gets it.

    My other inspiration, one I don't know personally but adore, is Jillian Michaels. I love her. And I just imagine her voice in my head to get me going.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Definitely my kids inspire me to get and stay as healthy as possible. They really need me and I want to be there for them as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  31. My mother is my inspiration! She loves to exercise! and that makes me want to too.

    shopgurl101 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete