Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Keeping active this summer.



This is sponsored content from BlogHer and Crystal Light Pure Fitness.

As I mentioned on my Crystal Light: Pure Fitness home page, for the next few weeks I'll be writing about Crystal Light: Pure Fitness and a variety of related topics. This week, we're all about favorite summer activities.

Let's see, since I go by The Happy Runner you can imagine that I like to run. And it's true: I'm a runner and I love it. Love. It. But, I admit that sometimes in the summer it can be tough to get in all my runs. The heat, vacations, busy schedules, etc., etc., can sometimes get in the way. For shame, right? I know!

Anyway, I know that staying active is important and summer is the perfect time to get outside and do things that (in the Northeast, at least) you can't do other times of the year. Doing them helps me stay active and not guilty on those days when I can't fit in the run. For me, those activities include:
  • Going for nature walks with my husband and son
  • Playing catch in the yard
  • Taking advantage of our playset by really swinging and actually trying to balance on that rope swing
  • Going on walks (and sometimes runs) with other moms
  • Hitting the town beach
Running, however, remains my all-time favorite way to stay active in the summer. Hot days, humid days, doesn't matter. I love a good run. This summer, I've been trying to run more often in the morning but sometimes the bed wins out. Same for the late evening: There are days when I still have the energy to run at 8pm but there are others when I simply don't.

What I have found is that a little planning goes a long way when it comes to summertime activities:
  • I try to make sure that I always have clean running clothes around (sounds obvious, I know, but you'd be surprised to know how many times I've wanted to run only to find all of my sports bras are in the hamper),
  • I keep an easy to digest snack by my bedside table to I can fuel up before a morning run,
  • I always bring my running gear with me on vacation,
  • I have a beach bag packed with essentials (sunscreen, beach towels, shovels) in the back of my car, and
  • I make sure I have convenient, healthy snacks and drinks in the house all the time.
This year, I found a 5K to run on vacation with friends -- great way to keep up the routine!

When I was sent a pack of Crystal Light: Pure Fitness to try out, one of my favorite features was the "toss in the purse" size tube that the powdered drink comes in. For my family, the one serving pack actually makes two big drinks, which means my son and I can both have one when we're out and about. I just need to grab a cold water and we're all set.

So that's my deal. Running. A few other fun things. Planning and preparation.

What about you? What are your favorite summer activities?

Think about it and leave me a comment. Every comment left on this post is an entry for a chance to win a $100 Visa gift card at the end of the month (comments from all posts will be combined; you can leave comments on more than one -- or all! -- post to receive multiple entries).

You can also check out the other bloggers that are writing about Crystal Light: Pure Fitness for three other chances to win $100 as well as a $1,000 sweepstakes by visiting the BlogHer.com Crystal Light: Pure Fitness exclusive offers page.

Learn more about Crystal Light: Pure Fitness here and read the official rules here. Good luck!


37 comments:

  1. I love the Crystal Light Pure Fitness by the way. My kids love it too. My family spends a lot of time in the pool during the summer. I think it is awesome that swimming keeps us active without feeling like tedious exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Summer. Hailing from a tropical country, when it gets hot and humid it reminds me of home. Unfortunately I'm kinda land logged and have no beach like I would back home, but being the water is one of my favorite summer time activities! Now I have pool and the occasional lake.
    I also love to just get outside, bike, walk and of course run..just soak up some Vitamin D and enjoy the great outdoors!!
    This year I'm getting into trails and by the looks of it might be a new summertime favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite part of summer is our annual trip to Blowing Rock, NC..... Other than that, I love having a less hectic schedule and more time as a family!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried the Crystal Light pure fitness the other day but it was in a strawberry flavor, that I didn't like much. Maybe the other flavors would be good?

    Summer -- honestly, as a working schlub with no children (and no pool, sigh), the only real difference between summer and winter is the Southeastern heat. :)

    I do enjoy the annual pilgrimage to the Outer Banks that my family does every year in August, although with my working schedule, I only get to stay the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite part of summer has to be farmer's markets! I just love strolling through them looking at all the goodies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a homeschool mom so my summers are very similar to my non-summers, but I do enjoy the added freedom of not having to do schoolwork before we head off to someplace fun.

    I also try to find runs when I'm going out of town! I love to run in the early, early morning particularly in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love summer with the boys. We keep active, other by running, with trips to the pool and the splashpad. Going to the park is always a fun and easy thing to do. One of our favorite things is walking to do errands; we have time now so don't have to depend on the car to get to the bakery before it closes.
    I always pack extra "play clothes" when we go away. And, last year, I learned that we need to pack extra towels now too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love going for an evening bike ride in the summer - the sun has mostly gone down, but it's still nice and warm, and everyone comes out of their houses, so it's nice to ride and wave.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently took up running (well, jogging, or sometimes walking really fast) myself. I'm not very good, and I'm not very fast, but it seems like something I am going to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love going on early morning walks with one of my good friends and have just recently started running (jogging) again. Must be ready for the 5k by the end of the month! I also love working in my yard, sitting around the campfire, and hitting the pool with a good book! Haven't tried Crystal Light Pure Fitness yet, but will next time I get to the store.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anything outdoors! Running, walking, biking, hiking, swimming, camping, you name it, if it's outside I'm all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite summer activity is grilling out with family and friends then all of us taking an after-dinner walk on those fleeting days when it stays light out soooo long!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love going on bike rides with my husband

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love going to the library with the kids, turning on the sprinklers and watching my kids squeal as they race through them, running at 8PM and it is still light out, sipping a nice, cool glass of lemonade.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Summer fitness= running!

    Anytime fitness= running!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE your blog! So glad I found it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We love the Crystal Light packets!

    ReplyDelete
  18. And I think if you are talking about summer fitness with my boys, I would think just a good day out in the yard! Tons of fitness....and need for hydration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just got a sample of this. Love it. Our favorite activity is packing a lunch and hanging out at a local beach for the day.

    melissa
    www.thecorkums.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. My favorite summer activity is going to the lake and hanging on the boat, skiing or going on jet skiis. Doesn't get much better than that!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love going to the beach or the lake and swimming during the summer!
    sazzyfrazz at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love taking the dogs for a walk around the local lake. It gets the dogs calmed down and helps keep my metabolism up and running :). I haven't tried the new Crystal Light yet, I will on my next shopping trip.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love swimming! It's a great way to work out in the summer AND stay cool :)

    dreamzz12{At]aol{dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love to go bike riding in the summer. We make the kids go too, they whine, but they can easily do a 12 mile ride.

    ajolly1456 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like to take walks with DH when the sun has gone down and it is cooler...I bring a frozen bottle of water with me..

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just picked running up again after a 13 year hiatus. Loving Crystal Light packets- I use the green tea/peach/mango.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Open water swimming! Hitting the lake for a nice swim without watching the black line on the bottom of the pool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love to swim and hike for my activities.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Swimming is my favorite summer activity.

    mami2jcn at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Walking so far is the best I can do, I walk my dog down the road and back, just starting to work with some exercise disc's. I love to camp out with my family and friends, lots of walking there.

    ReplyDelete
  31. summertime means lots of fun and late nights and being outside....i dread winter.....

    ReplyDelete
  32. My favorite summer activity is when our friends take us out on their boat for a day on the lake. They have 2 boys too, and all the kids get along. We picnic on the beach and tube and swim all day. Loads of fun....wish we had our own boat!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I like biking, swimming and running! they are the best!!

    shopgurl101 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  34. One of our favorite summer activities is water-skiing. It is awesome exercise too! I'm always really sore the next day....
    nuthouse(at)centurytel(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  35. I like to swim and take my dogs for a walk

    ReplyDelete