Thursday, April 8, 2010

KD Energy review


If you are looking for a new and different energy snack to power you through your runs (or your daily go-go-go), I've found the thing for you: KD Energy thoroughly pure energy bites. Never mind that they are made locally (go, Capital District!), these bites are pure yum.

Created by four Skidmore College students, the energy bites are all-natural, vegan, and gluten-free. You can learn about the ingredients here. I love that KD Energy is a small (really small!) business because I'm all about supporting small businesses, especially local ones. But that support can only go so far. The company has to produce a quality product and this one does.

I tried all four flavors: ChocoNut, LemonZest, PB&J and Mint Chip. My favorite flavor is ChocoNut and my least would have to be the LemonZest. The energy bites are hearty and easily digestible at the same time. I'm finding that I need to eat smaller amount of food more frequently these days, especially prior to running, and these bites are a good way to boost my energy without weighing me down.

It makes sense that the bites would serve their purpose well because, according to Katie, one of the partners that I emailed with, they were developed when she was training for a marathon. She was looking for a different sort of fuel to take with her on her longs so she created these bites. I'm glad she did!

Those of you who don't live in upstate New York won't be able to find the energy bites in stores -- yet. Fortunately, the bites are sold online at the KD Energy web site. They come in 1.7 ounce packages (that are eco-friendly -- made from "NatureWorks® Ingeo™ biopolymer, a polylactic acid (PLA) resin derived entirely from plants instead of oil") and are sold in 6-packs for $10.99 and 12-packs for $20.99.

The energy bites get a definite thumbs-up! Good luck, KD Energy. I hope you have continued success!

Review disclaimer: I received free samples of the KD Energy bites. I was not compensated for this review and the opinions expressed are entirely my own.


5 comments:

  1. I'd love to try them and also support the locals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sell them at Honest Weight Food Co-op. They really are yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review! I recommend trying the mint chip frozen :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great review! sounds like a cool little company and a tasty product. i will have to check out their website! :)

    ReplyDelete