Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Ronzoni Smart Taste review

Here at Happy Runner-ville we eat a lot of pasta. My toddler loves it and some evenings the most I can get it together to cook is pasta with some sauteed veggies. Not every night, mind you, but some nights :-)

I've always felt, though, that giving my son a lot of white pasta is not a good thing. So, in the past two years, I've made the switch to a mixture of about 2/3 whole-wheat pasta and 1/3 white. My family likes it more than all whole-wheat and I figure I'm giving them a more nutritious meal with the whole wheat.

I may start doing less of that.

Recently, I was contacted by Ronzoni's PR rep to review their Smart Taste enriched white pasta. I agreed and they sent me two boxes to try.


Smart Taste has been on the market for a while but it is now enriched with vitamin D, a new feature. I am a huge believer in the positive effects of taking extra vitamin D. I've read a lot about it and, from what I've read and what I've experienced from increasing my intake, it works well to improve immunity and overall health and function.

In addition to the vitamin D, Smart Taste includes calcium and fiber. Here's some information on those two nutrients from Smart Taste:
Calcium and fiber are two key nutrients that can be lacking in children’s diets. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, 30 percent of boys and 10 percent of girls between the ages of 12 and 19 meet their daily calcium requirements. Among children age three to five, less than 60 percent get enough calcium. When it comes to fiber, most Americans consume only about half the recommended daily amount. Research shows that fiber not only promotes proper digestion but contributes to fullness, helping to prevent overeating.
I made the Penne Rigate for dinner for my son, my husband and me. It tastes just as good as any other pasta, in my opinion. The pasta cooked up with the right amount of firmness but was not chalky or tough -- two worries you might have about pasta enriched with extra fiber! Instead, I didn't even notice that there was anything different about this pasta. I appreciated the ease with which I could, effectively, "sneak" extra calcium, fiber and vitamin D in to my son's diet.

I don't worry all that much about it now, because he eats fairly well. Then again, he's only 2 so the tough eating years are still ahead of me. I plan to keep this pasta in the rotation! Thanks, Ronzoni!

You can learn more about Smart Taste here.
They offer coupons on their site here.


Review disclaimer: I received a free sample of this product from the company to use and keep but did not receive any other compensation for this review.

2 comments:

  1. I buy this stuff alot - we refuse to eat white pasta in the Trickey house. But, I've also started trying the one in the yellow box.. I forget what it's called... Both are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Ronzoni here. Pasta is one of the few foods my kids will eat regularly. Picky suckers.

    ReplyDelete