Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Chocolate #9 review

I recently received a box of Chocolate #9 energy gels to try out and, wowzer, is it good stuff!

First, let me give you some information about the product. The low-glycemic index energy gel contains only two ingredients: organic agave nectar and dark Belgian chocolate. From the web site:
The nectar from the agave plant provides us with our slow burning carbs and sweetens the dark roast cocoa. The dark Belgium style cocoa has small amounts of naturally occurring caffeine, magnesium and potassium . . . Chocolate #9 is the only certified LOW glycemic energy gel on the market. This is the driving idea here, athletes who refuel there muscles, body and mind with a pure and simple energy source will feel and perform better than those who use similar products loaded with high glycemic sweeteners, preservatives and the rest.
Each gel pack is 70 calories, 10 calories from fat.

So, I tried a Chocolate #9 about 15 minutes before a run last week. From the first sip, I knew this stuff was good! In fact, it is delicious! So delicious that I could probably eat it all the time. It tastes like hot fudge. Or maybe dark chocolate brownie batter. Just yummy!

Chocolate #9 is an energy gel so the fact that it tasted so good was a bonus, but it also needs to work. And, from my experience, it did. I normally can't tolerate eating too close to a run -- I need about 1.5 to 2 hours to digest whatever I've eaten. I've been able to handle gels in the past and Chocolate #9 was no exception. It didn't bother me at all out on the run. I can't say that it gave me extra energy, but it didn't bother my stomach one bit, and that's important!

Overall, I like the Chocolate #9 gels and will use them on my long runs when needed.

You can learn more and purchase the gels at their web site here.

PS: Don't forget to enter my Winter Motivation Booster giveaway (which happens to include two packs of Chocolate #9 -- yum, yum)!

Review disclaimer: I received a box of Chocolate #9 from the company for my own use.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! 2 of my favorite ingredients in one handy pack--what's not to like? Do they contain caffeine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, those sound really good. I may have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They only contain caffeine from the chocolate so there isn't that much in them.

    ReplyDelete