Friday, November 6, 2009

Thriv Natural Performance Women's Racerback Tank review.

A few weeks ago, I was contacted by Jonathan at Thriv to try one of their workout tops from their new natural performance line. I gladly agreed and received the top about two weeks ago. It looked a little like this, only light purple:


Cute, right?

Yes, the top was definitely cute and the material was softer than any workout top that I've worn. I tend to buy tops made from technical fabrics that wick moisture and those never feel overly soft. Granted, several of my tops are Target brand, but I also have some Nike, Adidas and Brooks mixed in there. The Thriv top compared to those quite favorably.

I checked out the promotional material included with my top, as well as the Thriv web site, to learn more about their fabric and performance claims. Regarding the fabric, here is how it is described on the web site:

Bamboo for performance and luxury. Organic Cotton for additional sustainability. Elastane for stretch and support.

The result is a garment that performs as well or better than synthetic/petroleum based product, is infinitely more comfortable, offers more wearing occasions, and is better for the environment.

Now, that's all well and good but what you really want to know is how did the top work when I actually wore it. Right? Of course!

The answer is: Pretty good. As I said, I loved the feel of the material. The fit (women's medium) was perfect for me. I'd say I'm average height (5'6") and the length of the top was great. I often find that workout tops can be a little on the short side and this one wasn't.

The one problem I had was with the shelf bra part of the top. I'll say upfront that I am not a fan of built-in shelf bras. Although I am not overly large on top, shelf bras never provide enough support for me and I would prefer the tops not to have them. If I am wearing a top for a run, I always have to wear a sports bra under it, even if it has a shelf bra. So, that's what I did when I tested the Thriv racerback tank on a run. The top was comfortable and didn't cause a single bit of chafing. Yahoo!

A day or two after the run, the top went through the wash and came out in as-new shape and smell.

For the next test, I wore the top to cross train. Again, it felt great and was perfectly comfortable for the workout. The biggest benefit was that it never rode up when I was twisting and kicking and doing all those workout-y things. I waited a few days to wash the top and after doing so, I'm pleased to report that there was no residual stink. (That can be an issue, you know!)

Overall, I liked the top and I'm glad to have it in my rotation. It retails for $29.99, which I think is a fair price for a quality product.

Since Thriv is a new product line, it is currently only available at Sports Authority here. You can check out Thriv on their web site here.

Review disclaimer: I received a free sample of this product to use and keep but did not receive any other compensation for this review.

1 comment:

  1. Most women's workout tops are cute but they need to serve a purpose when working out, not just looking good.

    ReplyDelete